TSC Announces New Changes In Teaching Profession That Has Caught 2021 KCSE Candidates Eyeing Teaching Career Unaware.
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has announced new changes in teaching profession as it releases its new requirements to Kuccps that has caught 2021 KCSE candidates wishing to join teaching career unaware.
Previously, the minimum Entry requirements for a Bachelor’s degree in education arts and science stood at C+ in the two teaching combinations and mean grade of C+ and above.
TSC has written to KUCCPS proposing several changes to the Bachelor’s degree in education.
Here are the key proposal to the Bachelor of Education Degree as per the circular which was sent to KUCCPS by the Teachers Service Commission on 26th April 2022.
1. The Bachelor’s degree in education shall take five and half years instead of four years.
TSC proposed that the first 4 years a teacher trainee shall cover content in his/her area of specialization.
In the fifth year, the teacher trainee shall take professional course while teaching practice shall run for two terms (6 months).
Teaching practice will take place after the 5th year, uniform in all the campus.
2. A student wishing to pursue a degree must have the following minimum qualification according to TSC.
- B- In the teaching subjects at KCSE.
- C plain in English and mathematics.
Even though this are proposals awaiting approval by Universities, career choices should take caution especially on the minimum entry requirements.
As this shall go along way to avoid frustration upon graduation and at the point of seeking employment.
3. Each student pursuing degree in education shall take three teaching subjects that is two major subjects and one minor subject for cost effectiveness and proper utilization of the teachers in the new Competency-Based Curriculum.
4. For the Bachelor’s of arts with education (BAE), and the Bachelor’s of Education with science, here are the minimum Entry requirements :
- Five and half years of training,
- Minimum of C+ in mean grade in KCSE or its equivalent, C plain in English, kiswahili and mathematics.
- At least a B- (minus) in the three Teaching subjects combinations.
5. Every student is expected to take professional courses which include the following: curriculum development, psychology in education, sociology in education, foundations in education, measurement and evaluation, planning and educational economics, performance management, mentorship and coaching, education action research and education leadership micro teaching.
6. The Teacher trainees should cover at least 12 units in each of the three subject combinations.